Best of 2013: Top 50 Songs
2013 started with the surprise release of the first new David Bowie single in ten years and ended with the surprise release of the new album from Beyoncé.
In between, new albums from Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Katy Perry helped occupy pop music while hip-hop remained strong with Eminem, Drake and Jay-Z.
Robin Thicke, Kanye West and Miley Cyrus received most of the talk, with most of it on the negative end of the conversation, though a lot of it surprisingly constructive.
This year offered a lot of musical variety across the board and while I don’t think it will go down as a particularly strong year when looking back, there was definitely some impact on the part of songs like Same Love, Get Lucky and Royals.
These are my picks for the 50 best songs of the year, selected using my own taste in music, melody, songwriting and production, how much of an impact I perceived the songs to have and what I will continue to enjoy when the year is a distant memory.
Comments welcome and encouraged. What are your favourites of 2013?
50. The xx – Together
49. The Neighbourhood – Sweater Weather
48. Sondre Lerche – The Plague
47. Pearl Jam – Sirens
46. Kendrick Lamar featuring Jay-Z – Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe [Remix]
45. Court Yard Hounds – The Road You Take
44. Regina Spektor – You’ve Got Time
43. Miley Cyrus – We Can’t Stop
42. Jewel with Kelly Clarkson – Foolish Games
41. Ellie Goulding vs. Burns – Midas Touch