Best of 2014: Top 50 Songs
December is all about the holidays but for people like me, it’s also all about the year in review and that means year-end lists for music and movies. This list consists of my picks of the top 50 songs that either came out this year or were ones I came across this year.
Since most of my favs had a quiet year in 2014, I went beyond to find new music by new artists to tide me over and most of what I found did the trick. While the rest of the world obsessed over Sam Smith (I enjoyed him too), I happened to stumble upon some musicians who were new to my ears through recommendations from people I knew, mentions on blogs, or CBC Radio 2.
Some new-to-me (but not necessarily new) artists included Phantogram and William Fitzsimmons, and I was a bit late hearing about John Newman and Clean Bandit but early on Hozier and George Ezra.
Sia and Ingrid Michaelson both had their strongest years while Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan continued adding to their discography.
So of all the music I listened to in 2014, these are the 50 songs that stuck with me most either through play counts, overall impressions or just because they sound so good. Feel free to share your thoughts on the best of 2014 in the comments!50. Passenger – Scare Away The Dark
49. DJ Snake featuring Lil’Jon – Turn Down For What
48. Naughty Boy featuring Sam Smith – La La La
47. Dum Dum Girls – Are You Okay?
46. Milky Chance – Stolen Dance
45. Mapei – Don’t Wait
44. HAIM featuring A$AP Ferg – My Song 5
43. Banks – Change
42. Maroon 5 – It Was Always You
41. Catherine MacLellan – The Raven’s Sun
40. Coldplay – Magic
39. Ed Sheeran – Photograph
38. Nicole Atkins – It’s Only Chemistry
37. Beck – Blue Moon
36. Stroma featuring Lorde, Pusha T, Q-Tip and HAIM – Meltdown35. Bastille – Pompeii
34. St. Vincent – Digital Witness
33. Nina Persson – Animal Heart
32. Meaghan Smith – Have A Heart
31. Tori Amos – Promise